Quilts created 2019-2020


Welsch, Lynn B.   Fireworks Finale  23" w x 25" h  2020. All Rights Reserved


By Lynn B. Welsch.

This quilt was made for the 4 Common Corners challenge called Bright Sky, Dark Sky. It reflects the excitement of watching the finale of a fireworks show! The fireworks rays were individually couched by machine and then all the tiny bugle beads were hand sewn.
Welsch, Lynn B.   Playtime 13" w x 26" h  2020. All Rights Reserved


By Lynn B. Welsch.

I took a class on-line with Jean Wells in the summer and fall of 2020 and decided to experiment with several of the techniques we learned in class, hence the title playtime!

Welsch, Lynn B.   Bryce Canyon Overlook  33" w x 25" h  2020. All Rights Reserved


By Lynn B. Welsch.

I am a member of the 4 Common Corners art quilters group. The quilt was made for the challenge Fractures and Fissures. It is based on a photo I took at Bryce Canyon.

This is a whole cloth quilt. I used colored Jacquard resist and Dyna-Flo paints to make the image, then heavily quilted the piece.

Welsch, Lynn B.   Quaking Aspens  40" h x 30" w  2020. All Rights Reserved

Welsch, Lynn B.   Quaking Aspens (detail)
By Lynn B. Welsch.

I took the photo for this quilt during a hike in the Sandia Mountains in the fall. The Aspen trees were changing to their beautiful golden color.

The Aspen leaves are made out of painted dryer sheets and and hand stitched in place.
Welsch, Lynn B.   Deer Isle Lupines.  12" h x 12" w.  2020 All rights reserved
By Lynn B. Welsch.

Every summer I visit a friend in Deer Isle, Maine. This is a composite image based on photos I took there in June 2019. I made the quilt for the 2020 Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) on-line fundraising auction.
 
Welsch, Lynn B.  Century Plant Joy.  30" h x 20" w.  2020 All rights reserved.
By Lynn B. Welsch.


While hiking in Allie Canyon in the Gila National Forest, we happened upon a hillside with beautiful Century Plants in full bloom. 

It was a wonderful surprise and a joy to behold!
Welsch, Lynn B.  Lilies.  18" h x 25" w.  2019 All rights reserved.
By Lynn B. Welsch.

Somewhere along my travels I photographed these lilies and thought they would be a perfect subject for a quilt. 

In April 2019, I took a week-long class with Velda Newman at  Alegre Retreat at the Gateway Canyons Resort in Colorado. 

I hand painted the lilies and used hand-dyed fabric for the leaves.
Welsch, Lynn B.  Hollyhocks.  32" h x 20" w.  2019 All rights reserved.
By Lynn B. Welsch.

Hollyhocks grow well in the high desert of rural New Mexico where I live. 

They easily reseed themselves every year. My front and back yard chain link fences are surrounded by Hollyhocks every summer, and I never tire of looking out my windows at them!

I started this quilt at Alegre Retreat in Gateway Canyons, CO in a class with Jane Sassaman.

It was fun to interpret Hollyhocks in a whimsical way with new methods and materials.
Welsch, Lynn B.  Roadrunner.  19.5" h x 32" w.  2019 All rights reserved.
By Lynn B. Welsch.

I photographed this Roadrunner in the middle of flowers in my yard. It was fun interpreting him in a colorful and whimsical quilt!

Exhibited at the Albuquerque Fiber Arts Fiesta 2019 where it won a third place ribbon.
Welsch, Lynn B. Roadrunner II. 12" h x 12" w. 2019 All rights reserved.
By Lynn B. Welsch.

This is a second quilt of the roadrunner. I made it for the 2019 Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) on-line fundraising auction.

Welsch, Lynn B.  Sea Creatures.  52" h x 38" w.  2019.  All rights reserved.
By Lynn B. Welsch.

I began this quilt in a class taught by Jean Wells at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar in Pacific Grove, CA in March, 2017.

It is based on photos I took of fascinating sea creatures at the Monterey Aquarium.

Sea Creatures was exhibited at the SAQA New Mexico Special Exhibit Out of the Blue at the Santa Fe Capital Rotunda Gallery April - August, 2019.

Sold. Private collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Quilts of Prior Years

Art Quilts Created 2012-2014

Quilts created 2023-2024