About Me

Lynn B. Welsch

Artist Statement

The stunning natural beauty of many places I have visited in the United States and my home in New Mexico constantly inspire me to create original and unique art quilt pieces. Mountain shapes, incredible vistas, boundless landscapes, regional plants, streams and lakes, and ever changing skies are some of the inspirations for my fiber art pieces. Other works come from my imagination, creating pieces with a sense of fun, whimsy, and a strong use of color. All of my fiber art pieces are pieced and/or appliquéd, and quilted on a Bernina 440QE home sewing machine or a Bernina Q20, a stationary sit-down long-arm machine. All beading is done by hand.

My Studio
 Artist Biography

As a 9 year old, I learned to use a sewing machine and was inspired while in high school to make my first quilt after seeing a quilt exhibit at the Kutztown, Pa. Folk Art Festival. I earned a BS in Art Education in 1973 from the University of Southern Maine where I became interested in fiber arts. I started making traditional quilts in 1976 and art quilts in the early 1990s. 

My work has won many awards at the Quilt Shows of the Dallas and Plano, Texas, Quilt Guilds as well as two judge’s choice awards. I exhibit at the Master’s level in quilt competitions. Art Quilt pieces have been juried into the Houston International Quilt Festival, the American Quilter’s Society Show in Paducah, Kentucky, a National Quilting Association Show, a Studio Art Quilt Association Show, the Hoffman Challenge, and the Tims Art Quilt Studio Gallery. 

In 2007, I retired to Mimbres, NM and established my art quilt business, Mountain Spirits Studio. I am active in the New Mexico group of the Studio Art Quilt Association. My work is exhibited and sold at various shows and venues in the Silver City, NM, area.

In the fall of 2011, my quilt Texas Triumph was included in the book Lone Stars III, Texas Quilts from 1986-2011. Quilters who had quilts in the book were interviewed for the Quilt Alliance S.O.S.-Save Our Stories project while attending the Houston International Quilt Festival. The transcript of the interview is archived in the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress. The quilt Texas Triumph was also published in the book 500 Traditional Quilts by Lark Books in 2014.

In November 2013, a member of The Quilt Alliance recorded three-minute videos of SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) New Mexico members who had an art quilt in the Special Exhibit "A Walk in the Wild" at the 2013 Houston International Quilt Festival. My piece, "Aspens on Sandia Peak," was included in the exhibit. Here is the video where I talk about my art quilt. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Quilts of Prior Years

Art Quilts Created 2012-2014

Quilts created 2023-2024